Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Picture Book Wednesday: Are We There Yet




Amy's Review:

Road trips are tough for kids.With road trips comes complaining and the inevitable "Are we there yet?" The main character in this story is just like other kids; he hates road trips and complains the entire time. Then he decides to use his imagination to end his boredom, and exciting things happen in the story. His imagination takes him to different places making his time in the car go by faster. 

This book really brought me back to my childhood road trips.  I remember as a child being bored to death in the car.  Unfortunately, I have motion sickness so I basically had to look out the front window on trips. I was always jealous of Sara because she was able to read books when we went on vacations. I wish that I had this book back then. The central message that Dan Santat presents suggests that kids should enjoy their time in the car and make the best of it. My favorite part of this book was that it is interactive and requires some turning to read. I give Are We There Yet? 5 out of 5 stars. 

Sara's Review:

Are We There Yet? is the kind of picture book that you will want to revisit again and again. It provides an important lesson about patience and takes the reader on an amazing journey. As soon, as I finished the book, I opened it again to study the pictures, and found something new on almost every page that I had missed the first time. As an educator, I see so many curriculum connections with this book. For ELA, you could have students write a narrative story about a time in their lives that they wished time would speed up. For science and social studies, you could have them research the difference time periods to which the family travels. For art, you could have students draw pictures of what 2059 will look like. Do I need to even rate this book? We feature the best of the best on Picture Book Wednesday.

Check out the book trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comment moderation is enabled to prevent spam. We will review your comment ASAP. Can't bear to wait? Feel free to comment to us directly on Twitter. Our handles are @sralph31 and @lehmanac