Sunday, April 3, 2016

Picture Book Wednesday: Twenty Yawns



Sara's Review:

In Twenty Yawns, a little girl, Lucy, spends a lovely day at the beach with her family. Then she prepares for bedtime, but has difficulty going to sleep without her stuffed animals, which she goes throughout the house to collect. Jane Smiley's story is the perfect bedtime story for your little ones. And Lauren Castillo's illustrations:


Gorgeous! I give Twenty Yawns 5 out of 5 stars.

I was never into stuffed animals much as a child; my books alway helped me go to sleep. My children, however, are a different story. We have tried to institute the "one in, one out" rule, but they can never seem to part with any of their stuffed animals. We also have a two book rule only book for their beds; this rule is also frequently broken. It is a wonder my 2nd and 4th grader have any room to sleep for all the books and stuffed animals in their beds:



Amy's Review: 
When I first read Twenty Yawns I was reminded of my childhood. Those family vacations where we had so much fun and excitement. At the end of the day the adults would be tired but the kids were on excitement overload. I felt just like Lucy. I had a hard time going to sleep on those nights. Lucy's journey to find her favorite bear also reminded me of my childhood. I used to line all my stuffed animals on my bed before I went to sleep. I loved how the writing of Jane Smiley and the illustrations by Lauren Castillo come together to tell Lucy's story. I think that this picture book is an excellent bed time story for children and for nerdy adults like me. I give Twenty Yawns 5 out of 5 stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comment moderation is enabled to prevent spam. We will review your comment ASAP. Can't bear to wait? Feel free to comment to us directly on Twitter. Our handles are @sralph31 and @lehmanac