Friday, April 1, 2016

Young Adult Friday: 12 Young Adult Novels w/ POC Protagonists




As I mentioned in last week's post about our new schedule, my reading as a young adult (in the mid-1990s) did not consist of YA literature. YA lit is extremely popular nowadays, not just among teenagers and educators either.

I recently watched author Grace Lin's amazing TED talk, in which she discusses growing up being ashamed of her ethnicity. I love her message that our children's bookshelves should be both mirrors and windows. Kids of all backgrounds need books that help them live in a world of growing diversity.




A pop culture sight I found that includes lots of YA content is Bustle.com. Check out their list of 12 Young Adult Novels w/ POC Protagonists.
Next week I will be reviewing a 2016 YA novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Comment moderation is enabled to prevent spam. We will review your comment ASAP. Can't bear to wait? Feel free to comment to us directly on Twitter. Our handles are @sralph31 and @lehmanac